Header small
Header small

Work Permits

Working in the United Kingdom

In the United Kingdom's motorsport industry there are two main immigration routes available to non-EEA nationals who wish to enter and work. The UK operates a points based system for immigration whereby applicants are scored according to various criteria such as prospective salary, English language skills together with satisfying maintenance requirements that prove an applicant you can support themselves upon arrival in the UK.

Tier 2 (General Work Permit) - designed for medium and highly skilled workers seeking to immigrate to the UK for the purpose of undertaking employment in motorsport.

Tier 5 (Temporary Work Visa) - provides individuals with a job offer the opportunity to come to the UK for a specific purpose for temporary/short term employment.

Visalogic is a UK-based immigration consultancy specialising in assisting employers and individuals with employment related immigration matters. Our consultancy service offers detailed guidance and comprehensive support throughout all stages of the UK immigration process, including assisting with the preparation of all necessary documentation and liaising with the United Kingdom Border Agency on behalf of the employer and applicant.

Thanks to www.visalogic.net

Premium account holders qualify for a no cost consultation, please contact us to request this.



Working in the United States

The easiest way to explain how you can live and work in the U.S. is to give a summary of U.S. immigration law. Note that this is the “big picture.” Once you see all of the possibilities, it can help you decide which option will work best for you.

Immigration in to the United States has two main categories: permanent residence visas (also called “immigrant visas” or “green cards”) and temporary residence visas (also called “nonimmigrant visas”).


A permanent resident visa, or green card, is normally what people want, because it permits permanent residence in the U.S.  Additionally a person with a green card can generally live anywhere they want and can work for anyone without restriction.  But, a green card is difficult to get.

There are three main ways to get a green card for workers coming the United States:

  1. Employment based green cards
  2. Family sponsored green cards
  3. Green card lottery (diversity green card)

Employment based green cards are often the best possibility for our clients, particularly if you are coming from the UK.   There are five types:

·       EB-1: for aliens with extraordinary ability, outstanding professors and researchers, or multinational business managers and executives.

·       EB-2: for aliens with exceptional ability or aliens with advanced degrees (employer/sponsor required)

·       EB-3: for professional workers (with university degree), skilled workers and unskilled workers (employer/sponsor required)

·       EB-4: for religious workers

·       EB-5: for aliens who invest $1 million and create 10 new full time jobs (in limited situations, an investment of $500,000 and the creation of 5 new jobs is acceptable).

Processing times for employment based green card vary widely. An EB-1 or EB-5 application can be approved in less than 1 year.  However, an EB-3 application could take more than five years.

To qualify for a family sponsored green card, you must have a very close relative who is either a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (green card holder).  Husbands and wives of U.S. citizens, parents of U.S. citizens, and children under the age of 21 of U.S. citizens (including step children) have top priority and can qualify for a green card relatively quickly.

Other family members, such as husbands and wives of permanent residents, children over the age of 21 of U.S. citizens and permanent residents, and brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens can also qualify for family sponsored green cards.  But, these family members must be put on a waiting list for a green card to become available, which can take anywhere from five to fifteen years. 

The green card lottery (diversity green card) is a longshot.  This government program is designed to increase immigration from countries that do not produce a large number of immigrants to the U.S.  Only people born in certain countries can qualify (for example, people born in Canada, Mexico, England, India, China, and the Philippines cannot participate).

Each year the government selects 100,000 winners for 50,000-55,000 green cards. The government assumes that some winners will not qualify. The time to enter the green card lottery changes every year, but it is usually between October and December.


Most prefer to be in the U.S. before or during a green card application. Therefore, they first come to the U.S. on a temporary visa.  There are about 30 different kinds of temporary visas. The most common temporary visas are as follows:

·       H-1B Visas for Workers in Specialty Occupations, which permit employment of professional level workers by a sponsoring employer.  The visa is issued for up to three years and can be renewed another three years (additional renewals are possible in some cases).

·       B-1/B-2 Visitor Visas, which permit a visitor to remain in the U.S. for up to six month (employment is not permitted).

·       E-2 Treaty Investor Visas, which permit investors from certain countries to invest a substantial amount of money and acquire a controlling interest in an active U.S. business.  The visa is issued for up to five years and is renewable.  The investor can work in his or her own business.  The spouse can qualify for an unrestricted temporary work card.  Children up to the age of 21 can accompany the parents and attend school, but cannot work.

·       F-1 Student Visas, which permit foreign students to attend U.S. educational institutions.  Limited employment is permitted in some cases.

·       J-1 Visas for Participants in Exchange Programs, which permit business trainees to come to the U.S. to learn about an occupation or profession for up to 18 months.

·       K-1 Visas for a Fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen.

·       K-3 Visas for a Spouse of a U.S. citizen.

·       L-1 Visas for Multinational Managers, Executives and Specialized Knowledge employees who are being transferred to the U.S. by a related international company.

·       O-1 Visas for Aliens with Extraordinary Ability who are seeking temporary employment.  This visa is issued for up to three years and can be renewed in one year increments.

·       P-1 Visas for Internationally Recognized Entertainment Groups and Athletes.

·       TN Visas for certain professional workers from Mexico and Canada.  This visa is issued for one year and can be renewed in one year increments. 

Deciding which type of temporary visa to apply for is usually based on the question: Do you want to work for someone else or do you want to have your own business?

Thanks to www.thesperrylawfirm.com

Premium account holders qualify for a no cost consultation, please contact us to request this.


Copyright © 2019 RaceStaff.com