This position reports to the Head of Vehicle Performance or his designee; is located in Banbury, UK. Responsible for the continuous delivery of in-house scientific computing software, in accordance with the group’s development roadmap. The successful candidate will work closely with various departments to understand and prioritise requirements, propose development iterations and ensure the agile delivery of robust software tools for use within and outside the group.
- Promote teamwork and effective communications to develop working relationships between all personnel and departments.
- Facilitate the development and continuous improvement of a custom, flexible, cross-platform framework and toolset to address the team’s simulation and data analysis needs.
- Recommend and implement appropriate support systems using a combination of external tools and custom in-house developments.
- Coach part-time developers with domain expertise in modern processes in order to maximise productivity and release quality.
- Support colleagues and external consultants to implement state-of-the-art simulation models, following and continuously improving on developments.
- Advise on integration of components written in a variety of languages, COTS tools and F1 mandated environments.
- Offer guidance in appropriate technology stacks to facilitate high productivity, considering sets of competing requirements.
- Follow all safety regulations in all venues.
- Assumes any responsibilities and duties delegated by the Head of Vehicle Performance or his designee.
Education and Work Experience:
- GCSE, High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Further education including a minimum BS in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or in another STEM field with substantial experience in software development.
- A good understanding of the operation of vehicles, experience developing complex data management and database storage solutions is desirable.
- Prior experience in Motorsport, especially Formula One, would be beneficial.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong technical background in modern software engineering techniques.
- Technical background in mathematics, scientific computing, modelling, simulation and optimisation.
- Work to a consistently high standard in stressful and time sensitive situations, whilst prioritising and managing the work load efficiently
- Work well in a team environment with personnel at all levels.
Equipment and Applications:
- C/C++, .Net, SQL, Modelica, MATLAB/Simulink, McLaren Electronic Systems Tools.
- Solid computer knowledge, preferred experience in Microsoft Office products and Microsoft Dynamics AX.
- Ability to follow complex regulations related to shipment of materials and facility maintenance requirements.
Work Environment Physical Demands:
An ability to work and prioritize within a high pressure, time sensitive environment while retaining a methodical approach is essential. The role may require occasional international travel and a willingness to work long and flexible hours including weekends.
This position may require lifting to 50 pounds, repeated bending, squatting and manual dexterity. Fast-paced work environment requiring heavy mental demands. Work environment includes machinery, race cars, 7-post and other rigs, grinding debris, and hazardous fluids. All employees must ensure compliance with the Company Health and Safety Policy, and all relevant other statutory Health and Safety legislation.