Performance Engineer – Avalanche Andretti Formula E
Andretti Formula E, one of the original founding Formula E teams, is looking to expand its Engineering team in the UK. This expansion is part of the long-term growth and development of the organisation as it looks toward the coming third generation of Formula E. As part of this growth, an opening for a talented Performance Engineer has arisen.
Reporting to the Senior Performance Engineer and working alongside the Race and Systems Engineers for one of the race cars, you will be responsible for all aspects of the car data analysis, performance optimisation and driver analysis.
You will be expected to be an integral part of the race team that always operates the car in a professional and safe manner while ensuring that Engineering requirements and requests are met promptly and accurately.
Base: Banbury OXON; ability to work in the UK
Min 3 yrs. experience in a high level of motorsport required i.e. F1/Formula E/F2/WEC/IndyCar. This is not an initial or junior engineering position.
Degree educated in Mechanical, Electrical or Automotive Engineering or similar
- Assist Race Engineers with all data acquisition and analysis with the aim of optimising vehicle and driver performance.
- Attendance at races and or Ops room and tests as required
- Attendance at DIL simulator sessions prior to race events
- Preparation of standard reports, graphs, tables etc. both trackside and at the factory
- Support any required rig development testing as required
- Set up, development and maintenance of timing and strategy software
- Follow Engineering procedures and protocols, pertaining to assembly, operation and safety.
- Recording and feedback of parameters and incidences as they occur or as requested.
- Assist in the set up and operation of the garage and its infrastructure.
- Assumes any responsibilities and duties delegated by the Race Team Chief Engineer or his designee.
- Promote teamwork and effective communications to develop working relationships between all personnel and departments.
- Responsibility for the cleanliness and condition of work area, the garage, the factory and all tools and equipment.
- Follow all safety regulations in all venues.
Specialized Knowledge and Required Skills
- A high degree of competence with current race car data acquisition systems; ideally WINTAX / ATLAS - SYSMON / WINDARAB – MODAS along with knowledge of associated sensor characteristics and applications
- A good understanding of vehicle dynamics, aerodynamics and interaction with electric powertrain control systems.
- Experience with DIL simulators and lap time simulation is highly desirable as well as experience with trackside timing and race strategy tools.
- Good understanding of automotive electronics and control systems
- Be able to apply detailed technical knowledge to the understanding of new technologies, development of engineering designs and resolution of engineering problems
- IT literate and highly competent in the use of multiple packages and platforms.
- The ability to consistently work to the highest standards with an exceptional attitude towards attention to detail.
- You should be comfortable in your ability to communicate both in written and verbal form when discussing engineering solutions and requirements
- Solid computer knowledge, preferred experience in Microsoft Office products, MatLab/Simulink and VBA.
- A solid mechanical aptitude gained in the Motorsport arena.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
The Formula E championship is a unique working environment, a flexible approach and can-do attitude is ideal. Your ability to work and prioritize within a high pressure, time sensitive environment while retaining a methodical approach is essential. The role may require extensive domestic and international travel and a willingness to work long and flexible hours including weekends.