Location: Bicester, Oxfordshire – moving to Silverstone, Northamptonshire mid July
Contract: Full time, permanent
Report to: Chief Technical Officer
Salary: Negotiable dependent on experience
KW Special Projects Ltd requires a Design for Additive Engineer to join the team in this ambitious and growing high performance engineering business. We are looking for someone with a “can do” attitude and strong lateral thinking skills, who is excited by the engineering process and can apply their skills to a variety of diverse projects using their initiative and knowledge.
KW Special Projects is a high-performance design and engineering solution provider at the heart of the Silverstone Technology Cluster. KWSP uses the speed and agility of the motorsport industry upon which it was founded to provide cutting-edge, on-demand design and engineering services.
By transferring knowledge and technology from one sector to another they develop novel solutions to their clients’ challenges which have led to them working on projects from Additively Manufactured Batteries through to equipment for Professional Sports Teams.
However, they are still most well known for their expertise within the Automotive & Motorsport world and to this day continue to leverage their motorsport DNA to deliver complete engineering solutions for high-performance and niche vehicles.
Our capabilities include
• High Performance Engineering
• Digital Fabrication
• Additive Manufacturing
• Lightweight structures and composites
• Industrial Inkjet
• High Performance Engineering project management
• Special purpose machine design and manufacture
About The Role
Reporting to the Chief Technical Officer you will work as part of an integrated engineering team.
Our programmes require a diverse range of additive skills; therefore, we are interested to hear from applicants who have a fundamental understanding and can demonstrate experience in the following technical areas:
· Additive Design
· Additive Material Selection (Metallic + Polymer)
· Additive DFM Processes
All additive design activities are to be managed in collaboration with the opposing vehicle project areas, whilst working collaboratively with both studio & aerodynamics departments.
Due to the level of autonomy, we require a minimum of 5 years’ experience (industry sector agnostic) leading and delivering significant projects from concept to manufacture as a prerequisite.
You will be communicating internally, with clients and suppliers at all levels. As a result, you will also need to demonstrate effective communication skills.
The role would appeal to someone who works best when they need to think creatively about a design solution, adaptable to client requirements and is able to work independently whilst communicating with the team.
KWSP has an exceptionally close working relationship with the Digital Manufacturing Centre (https://www.digitalmanufacturingcentre.com/), and therefore provides considerable opportunities for the right candidate
Specifically, all positions will involve the following:
· Leadership and unification of design methodology
· Collaboration with Aero/Studio/Stress/Mechanical/Powertrain/Composite Departments to develop and achieve vehicle targets
· Developing design specifications to meet budget requirements in terms of time and cost
· Functional engineering to deliver vehicle attribute targets
· Identify, direct, and implement risk analysis (DFMEA) across vehicle platform
· Extensive use of Catia for concept and component detailing
· Extensive use of Ntopology, Ansys, 3-Matic or similar for design optimisation
· Lead DFM discussions with supplier network
· Responsible for all technical engineering drawing sign-off
· Definition of component function static and dynamic testing requirements
· Lead execution of component structures testing
· Leadership of vehicle assembly process and repair considerations
Managing Customer Relationships
Communicating with senior management and customers effectively at all levels in relation to:
· Preparing Specifications
· Design Reviews
· Project Reviews
· Project Delivery
· Control of programme engineering budget
· Management of the programme engineering team
· Engineering resource management to ensure programme delivery
· Identify business improvement opportunities
Core Competencies & Experience
Applicants will preferably have a degree in additive, mechanical or aeronautical engineering or a related discipline. We will however consider applicants with an HND in engineering or a related discipline. We will also consider individuals with equivalent experience.
All applicants must demonstrate the following:
o Proven and skilled use of CATIA V5 & proprietary FEA/optimisation software packages
o Evidence of client-facing experience
o Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
o Ability to prepare specifications and deliver these within budget
o Confident use of MS-Office applications
o Experience in procedures and ability to implement as business requirement develops
o Ability to interrogate and analyse CAE simulation methodologies
o Proven skills in detailed analysis from first principles
o Creation and dissemination of good working practises and processes
The successful applicant will be:
o An experienced team leader
o An analytical person/have strong lateral thinking skills
o Able to demonstrate a commitment to quality and meeting customer requirements
o Tenacious in meeting programme deadlines
o Practical as well as creative and prepared to be hands-on
o Able to demonstrate precision and diligence including generating reports
o Able to work effectively under time pressure
o Able to work with health and safety in mind in terms of design and working practises